Learning recovery has been a main topic of concern, focus, and discussion throughout the pandemic. To connect students with appropriate instruction, we must begin with an understanding of what each student is ready to learn—where they are in their learning pathway—and engage them at that level. This is by no means an unfamiliar task. What’s different, however, is the anticipated scale of learning recovery needs.
In this discussion, we’ll consider how to reengage students to address learning recovery with a compassionate focus on a strategy. That includes:
- Looking at the task at hand and intentionally starting with what is achievable quickly.
- Developing a plan and setting realistic goals.
- Going slow to go fast (reentry can be hard).
- Equipping students with skills to persist, overcome obstacles, and build resilience.
- Celebrating successes ... even the small steps.